Isabel Sparkling with Pizza Margherita
March 1, 2022
Sparkling wine, or what we call "Bubbles", doesn't have to only be for special occasions. Tuesday pizza night is a perfect fit. The soft bubbles and light dryness are a classic combination with the crusty dough and melty cheese. Enjoy!
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 6 cups flour (bread flour is preferred, but all-purpose is fine)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- In a large mixing bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer is using), dissolve yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let sit in a warm place until creamy (about 10 minutes)
- Stir in the olice oil, salt, and 4 cups of the flour. Once combined, mix in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well to combine. When to dough has come together, turn it onto a floured surface and knead well for about 8 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. **NOTE: It is easier to use a stand mixer if available, but not required.
- Once the dough is smooth and elastic, lightly oil a large bowl, place to dough into the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F. If using a pizza stone, place it in the oven.
- Once risen, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently deflate the dough. Divide the dough into three equal pieces and form into rounds. Cover the rounds and let them rest for 10-15 minutes until slightly puffed up. NOTE: This recipes makes 3 pizzas depending on size. Once divided, you can portion the dough and use what you need and freeze the rest.
- Use your hands, or rolling pin, to roll the dough into the desired shape. Srinkle lightly with flour as necessary.
- On a sheet pan or cookie sheet, sprinkle 1 tbsp corn meal. Place the dough on the pan.
- Gently spread tomato sauce around the dough. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and fresh mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until gloden brown.
- **NOTE: If using a pizza stone (recommended), assemble pizza on a cookie sheet or pizza piel that you can use to transfer the pizza to the stone that is in the oven.
- Remove the pizza and sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and a drizzle of olive oil (optional).
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com